Close

Default What is it? Black box under dash

I'm trying to figure out what this black plastic box is under the dash/column of my 79 pace car (originally 4cyl turbo). The box is unmarked on the outside and has a cover held on with 2 screws. Backside of cover is marked "2L7-0133" and the word "PUGLISI". There are, I believe, about 7 wires going to a grey plug. Wires are multi colored and all solid (blk, rd, yellow, maybe orange and green) except for a couple. I think striped wires are brwn/wht & grn/wht.
    There is a circuit board inside. Somewhere, I saw the marking "Japan" and one of the components in the board is marked "SCHRACK" with "RU 101900" below it.

Is this possibly an aftermarket replaced part? Maybe an anti-theft/alarm system? There was no siren/horn on the car, but I do see a small red light that was added nearby at the lower drivers corner of the dash.

I'm trying to clean up some wiring issues. Previous owner had added 3 toggle switches under the dash. When I got the car, I could start with a key. Ignition switch is good, but somewhere, I lost power to the trigger wire going to the starter relay. A few yrs ago, I hooked up a push button switch as a temporary solution.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 09-05-2023 at 07:56 AM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Ok, it looks like I may have found the answer. Looking up the Schrack relay 101900, I found reference to a wiper governor. So I'm guessing that's what controls the intermittent wiper function.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Soon after i bought the Cobra, went to dealer and bought optional interval wiper kit.
    Car did not come with that option.
    Kit had new control stalk and the interval governor box. No new harness.
    The factory harness contained wiring for both types of wiper control as i recall.
    Instructions said to separate existing wiring and connect both connectors to box.
    Also showed where to mount box at steering column. Was plug and play.

79 EVTM shows the wire colors.
    Interval wiper box (interval governor) EVTM internal schematic drawing shows:
    governor relay, electronic switch, interval override, interval timer, timer activate, wiper reset.

wire colors from interval column switch
    bk/w (console washer fluid level switch/LED, pump) bk, bk/pk D, w, bk/w H, db/o, r.
    wires to gov
    bk/w, bk, bk/pk D, w, bk/w H, r
    wires out from gov to wiper motor
    bk, w, bk/pk H.
    db/o is direct from switch to wiper motor
    Fuse 12 hot in acc or run supplies power to column switch, governor and wiper motor.

Red light and a toggle could be related to the starter relay trigger wire. Antitheft. Starter will not work.
    Toggles wired together acting like a combo lock?
    Last edited by gr79; 09-05-2023 at 12:01 PM.

The plug & play setup you describe is exactly how this looks. I just can't quite see up in there far enough to see where the main harness goes, but I figured as much. Thanks for the confirmation!

As for the toggle switches, that would be my first guess, but I tried all that when I first started having the problem. I'll need to do some more digging. I also can't seem to find the resistor wire. I know it's there because it was reading the correct lower voltage when I first wired up the engine (after swapping in the v8 ). The wiring diagrams I have either don't show it or the print is so tiny and faded that I can't read it, even with readers and magnifying glass. I'll have to look online and see if I can find it. Any idea what color wire it would be, coming out of the switch? I've always seen reference to the "pink" wire, but that must be for older cars. I don't have a pink. I have a brown with pink line and a few red wires with varying shades of blue, green, tan, or white line. Depending on where you're looking asking the harness, these could be the same or several different wires, due to color fade/change over the years. So while the color coded wiring is good, in theory, a lot of that goes out the window in a 45 yr old car.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Fading like the Titanic. Rusting away, wire color codes fading, connections failing.
    Model year and running changes. Past owners. Material composition choices by Ford.
    Have added many additional secondary grounds to the car and truck, mostly in engine bay.
    Anything well protected has had a better chance of survival relatively intact.

Did some mods on mine way back glad i drew diagrams and kept notes.
    Still, some wiring under dash for the radio baffles me. Many different radios.

EVTM shows r/lb stripe from ign switch to trans then spliced to starter relay wire.
    The s303 splice is between curved c209 and c201 in rt (or lt) cowl in 'A' pillar.
    C201 is gr, flat? 8 terminal. Under LT kick panel?

Shows br/pk from switch to gy 11 terminal connecter c209 behind ip.
    Shows c209 as being a curved connector, again, 11 wires. At the s column?

A 1.1 Ω r/lg stripe resistance wire runs from ign switch into the male end of connector (c209).
    After the connector, r/lg stripe wire continues on to engine bay and ends at ignition coil BAT.

Great info! Exactly what I needed! Thanks! I did manage to find the resistor wire and both the red/lg and red/lb wires and I'm familiar with where they are routed. There is some confusion with which is which at different points along the way, due to the faded similar colors. However, this doesn't really even apply in my case, since I'm not getting power to either. Well, I am getting power from the switch. It's losing signal somewhere prior to exiting the firewall.

So exhausting all simple testing under the hood, I went back in the car and began taking a closer look at a previous owners handy work. MAN, did I open a can of worms!!! At this point, I have the cluster removed, column and lower dash covers off, fuse panel dangling, and wiring pulled out everywhere. Some of the wiring is good...so good, I thought it was factory. It's tucked all the way up under the dash behind the gauge cluster and into a 3rd dimension, complete with trimmed zip ties and some type of tape that defies physics. Other areas have wires & switches, etc spliced in like a drunken trunk monkey did it. To prove I'm not exaggerating here, there was a toggle switch wired in and taped up in some large glob with two zip ties criss-crossed around it. By the time I got it open, I realized that someone had taped a female plug against the back of the toggle switch in a way that the tips of the toggle switch contact points would touch the outer opening of 2 of the plug contacts. They weren't wired together, and there was no way the contacts of the toggle switch could have been inserted into the female blade terminals of the plug, but there was just enough contact pressure with the hail mary zip ties criss-crossed that it made a connection.
    One of the toggles was cut in the engine bay. I just had to pull a couple wires out and cut 42.7 zip ties and 17.7 ft of electrical tape that was unbreakable, but also still managed to have the consistency of warm molasses.
    The second toggle was wired/spliced into the horn wire coming off the steering column (same conditions as above, concerning zip ties and tape).
    The 3rd toggle was spliced into a harness going to a relay that may or may not be oem. I'm still trying to trace this one down, but it incorporated a 3-blade plug going into a relay behind the fuse panel, and 2 single wire plugs all connected together. The brown wire going to the relay is constant hot, but I don't see a brown wire going to the fender relay or battery. So I'll need to keep tracing it back through the inner dash (that thing is IN THERE) or go under the hood and start yanking ring terminals off the starter relay one by one. It's a heavier wire, so hopefully, that's it's connected. I downloaded the wiring diagrams linked from this site, but I can't find the 3-blade plug I have. It uses a light brown (tan) solid wire (actually 3) and one light blue/black stripe. One blade shares 2 wires.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 09-05-2023 at 11:25 PM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Name:  Screenshot_20230906_002839_Gallery.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  256.8 KB
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Problem with the starter signal was in the harness going to the transmission... right about where it goes through the floor pan. Still working on getting everything back together, but I addressed a few other issues I mentioned. Rogue toggle switches, spliced horn wire, and some unused wires under the dash and in the engine bay.
    I appreciate all the help.
    Interesting side note I just learned tonight. The fog lights are evidently not included in the wiring diagrams. I found it separately online, but for an 86 I think? It was close enough.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd