Close

Default Wiring in the new starter on my 1979 Zephyr V8

Installing a new starter with the solenoid attached. Off a 1993 Stang. Want to wire this in while eliminating the fender mounted unit.

Running a 3G alternator.

Cant find anything for this .....

Thanks

FEP Supporter

I don't know how much current the solenoid draws on the new starter and if I recall correctly on the '93's the fender mounted solenoid was retained. If you remove the fender mounted solenoid I'd advise to install a relay. Oh, and of course you'll have to deal with adding a distribution block/barrier strip or an insulated stud to tie all the wires together that were originally on the battery input side of the factory solenoid.
    '85 GT

The instructions from ford performance parts can be found here:
    Microsoft Word - FM011102 M-11000-B51.MT164 Inst Sheet.2.9.12 (ford.com)
    Mike
    85 GT - owned since 87

I eliminated the fender mounted unit on my Zephyr.
    Can you post pictures of the starter?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Its a stock one off a 1993 Stang. BOSCH SR7542N

Does your starter have (2) large studs and (1) smaller stud?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

From the RockAuto site....one of the pics shows the terminals.... looks like there are 3 to me....

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=4152&jsn=943
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

I was looking for a better picture. That angle doesn't show the 3rd stud very well.

Use the point-to-zoom on picture number 4.... definitely can see a smaller stud below the right hand large stud.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

This is the best picture I have of my starter installation at the moment. Lead to starter motor is attached to large inner stud, nothing else. Starter cable from battery attaches to large outer stud. Solenoid trigger from fender relay attaches to small stud. Some solenoids have a small stud like the linked starter above or some may have a spade terminal like mine. I'm also a proponent of using the fender relay as it keeps any extra current load out of the ignition switch.

Fender wiring:

Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack